Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Bamfield July 4

According to the weather gods, the wind is still blowing.  According to the fishermen, it is too rough to fish and the fish aren't biting anyway.  According to us, it is a good day to hunker down with a good book! 

Barrie spends the entire day on the boat working on small projects and reading.  In the afternoon, I lower my kayak and first paddle to the east side of town (this side is connected by dirt road to the real world) and take a walk.  As I am tying up my kayak, I hear of two Coast Guard rescues in the Broken Islands.  One for a group of kayakers and one for a small private boat.  I walk first to along the road to Port Desire and stop at the local information to learn about Robert Bruce Scott - a Scott who worked the telegraph here for many years and ultimately had a large hand in creating the National Park that incorporates this area.  I then walk out to the Bamfield Marine Science Center - part of UVic.  The Rix Center is where the annual Music Festival is being held this week.  I would love to go, but the concerts don't start until 8:30 and getting to and from the boat in the wind and dark is not an appealing idea.  But there is a rehearsal tomorrow that we can attend.

I head back to my kayak and in a great deal of wind, paddle across the channel to the west side of town.  This is the side we docked on yesterday.  I tie up the kayak and again walk the boardwalk to the well-supplied General Store.  This time I have a bag of paperback novels we have read.  I use them as trading stock at the community book exchange and find several books that look interesting.  One titled Miss Savidge Moves Her House - now that could be interesting.  It is the first book I begin to read when I return to the boat and I am done by bedtime.

Today is the fourth of July.  No fireworks on this day in Canada!  But we do think about the meaning of independence and hope our country can survive this election cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment