Monday, June 12, 2017

All is well at Ford's Terror


Once again we wake to low cloud cover but this morning the rain holds off.  I take advantage of the morning to work on the boat.  I finish cleaning the teak and wash the decks.  Once the work is complete, I turn my attention to fun.  I drop my kayak in the water and paddle from waterfall to waterfall all the while looking up the nearly vertical cliffs.  I paddle far enough from the boat that Barrie says my bright green kayak is just a speck in the binoculars.  For an hour or two, I am alone is this beautiful place.  I am in awe of this place -- the waterfalls are cascading from thousands of feet in the air and flowing into the sea with such force that they push my kayak away from the shore.  The power of the glaciers that carved this valley were simply immense.  The books suggest coming prepared to spend a week or more in case of some type of unforeseen problem.  The implication is that boats in this area are few and far between.  

 I return to the boat in time for a late lunch before we pull up the anchor and make our way back up the inlet.  We execute our departure by the book with satisfactory results.  By the time we exit the bay, it is already after 4 pm.  Anchorages in this area are scarce.  We would like to get started on our southbound journey and search for a suitable anchorage that is within 35 miles (or approximately 5 hours).  We settle on Windham Bay Entrance Nook with an estimated arrival time of 8:30 pm.  We make the turn from Stephen's Passage into Windham Bay and then into the nook at the entrance on the south side.  The water in the nook is deep (200') and the tide is low.  Finally the bottom shoals and we drop the anchor in 18' of water.  The tide will rise an additional 15 feet.  The anchorage has just enough swing room for one boat and is sheltered from the south winds.  It is perfect for our needs.  Tomorrow we will be in Petersburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment