Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Dixie Cove to Walter’s Cove, June 21




This cove is so snug that it is hard to tell if the storm that has been forecast has arrived but overcast skies are the harbinger that the weatherman was right.  The air is still and the water is flat.  Once again, I choose to give in to temptation and deploy my kayak and go for a paddle around the cove.  In a few short moments, I am at the shore’s edge and looking through crystal clear water.  Below I see dozens of starfish, crabs, sea anemones, small fish and more.  I continue my paddle along the shoreline and am surprised by the steepness as the mountains descend into the sea.  
 
I slowly work my way back into the larger cove and across the top of Copp Island as the tide reaches it lowest point today (1.5 ft).  I paddle unto I run into land.  With just another foot of tide, I would be able to slip through this narrow passage but instead I stop and watch the clams put on a show.  Everywhere I look water is spurting up out of the sand.  If only I had a fishing license and a shovel.  Finally, I turn the kayak around and paddle back to the boat.  Barrie has been working while I have been recreating.  He spent the morning cleaning the teak on the aft decks.  I stow my kayak on the upper deck and make a second cup of coffee.  

Just after 10 we start the engine and make a short sight-seeing loop looking for bears on Vancouver Island.  We find otters and seals but not bears.  Our plan is to retrace our steps and return to Walter’s Cove.  I have the helm and Barrie is taking a short nap when the rain begins to fall in earnest and visibility starts to close down.  We have been through these narrow passages before and the trip is almost uneventful.  When I head out on deck to deploy fenders and dock lines, Barrie makes a turn into a cove that is not on our path.  We are fortunate that it is high tide and there is plenty of water to turn around are get back on course.  We dock in the rain and listen to the weather report.

In June, the winds in this area are predominately from the northwest.  The front moving through has caused the winds to shift to the south and the rain will be here for a day or two.  At home, I seldom pay much attention to the winds (unless they are really howling down the Strait of Juan de Fuca and pummeling our front window.  On the boat, our safety depends on paying attention and waiting for the right conditions.  I spend a pleasant afternoon in the pilot house finishing my book and lounging with the cat.

Tonight we are going to don our rain suits and walk to the local restaurant for dinner and hopefully to upload recent blog entries.  On the west coast of Vancouver Island, phone service is scarce and wifi is even scarcer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment